Whether you’re buying your first home or an experienced buyer, let our team find you the perfect property at a great value.
Buying a home is a significant and exciting decision. When it’s time to buy your home make Engel & Völkers your first choice. You won’t be disappointed!
- Determine your price range and area(s) you want to buy in. By now you should have a good idea of how much home you can afford. This helps you narrow down your home search. You should also begin researching the neighborhoods in which you might want to live. Your Engel & Völkers agent can help.
- Begin Testing the Market - Right here you can SEARCH LISTINGS that meet your criteria. Identify properties that seem to be a good fit for you, take an afternoon and go on a driving tour. See what’s available in your price range and explore neighborhoods.
- Get Preapproved. For a Loan Contact several lenders and determine which one will give you the best deal. Obtain a copy of your credit report and your FICO score, dispute and correct and incorrect inquires, Pay off any unpaid debts…The higher your FICO score, the better interest rate you get.
- Decide which amenities and features you must have and which ones would be nice to have. How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you want? Walk-in closets? Would you prefer a newer home or an older one? Is an updated kitchen important to you? Are hardwood floors a must? Which features would you be willing to give up if you find the otherwise-perfect home?
- With Your Agent: Begin looking at homes look at homes with a critical eye – does the floor plan work for you, is the property in good condition, would it be right for your lifestyle? In short, can you imagine yourself and your family living there?
- Take notes at each home you visit. What do you like and not like? Narrow down your choices; re-visit homes in which you’re interested. See them at different times of the day. Also, a fun thing to do is to keep a map of the areas you are considering and mark the homes you’ve viewed, either on GoogleMaps or a paper version.
- Make an offer when you’ve identified the home you want to buy, act quickly and prompt be prepared prepare a written offer quickly. Your Engel & Völkers agent will be familiar with market values and will help you arrive at a price that gives your offer the best chance of being accepted.
- With Your Agent: Begin Looking at Homes You’ll be asked to submit an earnest money deposit (certified funds, cashier’s check) a. Have the property professionally inspected. b. If necessary and property is not being sold as is, request repairs. c. Begin making moving arrangements d. Obtain homeowner’s insurance. e. Contact utilities (phone, water, power.). f. A few days before closing, stage a walk-through. g. Obtain a cashier’s check for the down payment and closing costs.
- Your Real Estate Advisor at Engel & Völkers will help and advise you through the entire process of buying a home, starting with the mortgage and continuing through closing – and beyond. He or she can help you shop for the best interest rate and terms. Here at Engel & Völkers our mission is to provide personal, professional service and counseling while building lifelong relationships based on our passion and commitment to the community, each other and our clients.
- Try not to become emotionally attached to a home. Your offer may not be accepted for any number of reasons. Have backup homes in mind. Be prepared to negotiate through your advisor with the sellers.
- At Closing Make sure the terms and conditions of the loan statement are correct.
- Carefully read everything before you sign.